Boston Criminal Defense Lawyers
Skilled & Determined Legal Advocacy Since 1991
Gens & Stanton, P.C. is a boutique law firm in Boston, MA. Our team consists of highly skilled attorneys who provide powerful representation for criminal and civil matters. Attorney William E. Gens graduated cum laude from Tulane University Law School and was an adjunct instructor at Harvard University School of Law. Attorney Bradford R. Stanton handles various criminal defense matters and is prepared to represent his clients at trial and the appellate level. Attorney Bryan R. Colella delivers counsel and representation to small to medium-sized businesses for various civil litigation issues.
No matter what legal challenges you may be facing, our Boston criminal lawyers at Gens & Stanton, P.C. are committed to providing you with attentive, uncompromising legal representation. Understanding that any type of legal issue is personal and can have wide-ranging effects on your future, we develop individualized strategies for each of our clients. Because we are a boutique firm, we can give the people we serve the attention they need and exert the time and effort necessary to build compelling cases.
We are ready to provide the counsel you need. Schedule a free consultation with a member of our team by calling or submitting an online contact form today.
Boston Criminal Lawyers Fighting an Array of Charges
At Gens & Stanton, P.C., our Boston criminal defense attorneys have extensive experience challenging criminal accusations. We have handled cases of all complexities, from disorderly conduct to murder. With our breadth and depth of knowledge of criminal law and the judicial system, we are fully equipped to attack the allegations made against you.
Cases our Boston criminal attorneys handle include, but are not limited to:
- Assault and battery: Assault and battery are two different types of conduct. Assault involves an attempt or threat to cause injury to another. In contrast, battery occurs when an individual physically contacts someone else in a way that could result in bodily harm. Both are serious offenses carrying severe penalties.
- Domestic violence: In Massachusetts, a person may be charged with domestic violence if they allegedly abused or threatened to abuse a family or household member, such as a spouse or roommate. Our criminal defense attorneys in Boston recognize that accusations can often arise in the heat of the moment and will explore every legal option to fight the charge.
- Drug crimes: Charges for possession, distribution, or manufacture of controlled substances are serious. Depending on the type and amount of drugs involved, a conviction can lead to incarceration and/or fines. At Gens & Stanton, P.C., our criminal attorneys are ready to defend against any drug-related accusation.
- DUI: A person can be arrested for DUI if they were operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol or they had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more. Whether this is the individual's first or subsequent violation, the conviction penalties are steep and include incarceration, fines, and/or driver's license suspension. Allow our criminal defense lawyers in Boston to protect your rights and driving privileges.
- Felonies: Felonies are considered more severe offenses than misdemeanors. Accordingly, they carry the highest fines and harshest terms of incarceration, which can include years to life in prison. Our Boston criminal attorneys provide representation for various felony-level crimes, including theft, sexual abuse, armed robbery, fraud, drug crimes, and embezzlement.
- Juvenile crimes: If a minor violates a law, they can be charged with a crime, just like an adult. However, their case will proceed through the juvenile justice system, which has its own processes in terminologies. At Gens & Stanton, P.C., we are here to help you and your child through the complexities of your case.
- Misdemeanors: Although misdemeanors are not considered as severe of crimes as felonies, they should still be taken seriously. A conviction can lead to incarceration and/or fines and will leave a mark on the individual's criminal record, affecting them for years. Whether you've been charged with a misdemeanor such as disorderly conduct or DUI, it's crucial that you speak with a Boston criminal lawyer right away.
- Sex crimes: Massachusetts takes sex crimes charges seriously. In many cases, if a person is found guilty, they not only face incarceration and/or fines but may also be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of their life. If you have been charged with sexual exploitation, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, or any other sex crime, contact a criminal attorney in Boston immediately. Getting started on your case as soon as possible is critical to building an aggressive defense.
- Theft crimes: Generally, theft crimes involve the unlawful taking of another person's property. They can be charged as felonies or misdemeanors depending on the value of the property, the type of property, and the type of victim. Our team at Gens & Stanton, P.C. can work to pursue a favorable outcome in your theft crimes case.
- Violent crimes: The term "violent crimes" refers to any offense committed against another person. Various types of crimes are categorized under this classification, including kidnapping, assault and battery, murder, robbery, rape, domestic violence, and home invasion. The State will aggressively pursue anyone accused of committing these offenses, which is why it is vital to have a Boston criminal attorney on your side ready to work as hard or harder than the prosecution.
Our defense lawyers in Boston also handle appellate matters. If you believe that your conviction or sentence resulted because of a legal error in your case, we can help you challenge the judgment.
Our Boston criminal defense attorneys are licensed to practice in courts throughout:
- New Hampshire
- New York
- The United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Other jurisdictions by special assignment
If you have been charged with a state or federal crime, contact us today to discuss your legal options.
What Does A Criminal Defense Attorney Do
Charged with defending individuals accused of committing crimes, criminal defense attorneys play a pivotal role in ensuring that every person, regardless of their circumstances, receives a fair and just legal process. But what exactly does a criminal defense attorney do, beyond the courtroom dramas we see on television? Let's explore their multifaceted roles in the pursuit of justice.
- Guardians of Rights: One of the primary roles of a criminal defense attorney is to safeguard the rights of their clients. From the moment of arrest, these attorneys ensure that the accused are informed of their rights, including the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney, and the right to a fair trial. This critical step sets the stage for a fair and just legal process.
- Legal Strategists: Criminal defense lawyers meticulously examine the prosecution's case, dissecting evidence, scrutinizing witness testimonies, and reviewing police procedures. Their goal? To identify weaknesses and inconsistencies in the case and develop a robust defense strategy to protect their clients' interests.
- Advocates in Court: Perhaps the most visible aspect of a criminal defense attorney's role is their presence in the courtroom. They represent their clients during arraignments, bail hearings, pre-trial motions, and trial proceedings. In the courtroom, they present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, and craft compelling legal arguments to convince judges and juries of their client's innocence or the need for a fair and just outcome.
- Negotiators of Plea Bargains: Not every case goes to trial. Criminal defense attorneys often engage in negotiation with the prosecution to reach a plea bargain. This involves seeking reduced charges or sentencing in exchange for their client's guilty plea. The aim is to secure the most favorable outcome possible, considering the circumstances.
- Post-Conviction Advocacy: A defense lawyer can continue to advocate for their clients through the appeals process, seeking to have convictions overturned or sentences reduced based on legal errors or new evidence.
In the world of criminal law, defense attorneys are the embodiment of the belief that every individual deserves a fair shot at justice. Criminal defense attorneys tirelessly champion the principles of fairness, ensuring that the scales of justice remain balanced, even in the face of the most challenging and controversial cases. Their dedication to upholding the law and defending the accused is a testament to the cornerstone of justice in society.
Handling Civil Litigation Matters
In addition to criminal defense, our Boston lawyers also offer a broad range of civil litigation services covering matters such as business law, corporate law, franchise law, real estate law, and estate planning. We provide counsel to businesses of all sizes and seek optimal outcomes through alternative dispute resolution methods. Still, we are ready to take a case to trial if the situation necessitates it.
“We Are Pleased, Happy, Fortunate, and Grateful”- Y. G-T.
Ever since my team worked with Gens Law Offices, about 14 years ago, any legal problems we had brought to them, got solved! They have helped us with several cases, that always come out with a positive outcome. We Are pleased, happy, fortunate, and grateful for working with GensLawOffices. Don’t think there is a case they cannot solve! P.S. Thank you XOXO
“A true professional in every sense of the word. Calling Bill just an attorney is not enough: A Barrister is more fitting for him”- Lawrence
Bill took ample information over the phone, then gave me his email address. I sent him more detailed information and documentation pertaining to my legal issues via email. I could tell right away that bill had read through the material thoroughly and he was quick to come up with a plan of attack on my behalf. I felt quite confident that Bill would win my case all through the process and when it came to for him to step up to the plate, he did so with complete and utter competence and commitment to the task. Having him and his legal team on my side allowed me to sleep much better at night knowing that I was in good hands. I highly recommend Bill and his associates.
“I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great value and professional team!”- A.M.
I had a great experience with this firm. They were responsive immediately, upfront with pricing, and honest about outcomes. During the process, they were clear with everything that was happening and obtained a favorable outcome for all parties. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a great value and professional team.
“He was brilliant, so prepared, and powerful.”- Former Client
My husband and I are so happy, extremely grateful, and amused with Attorney Bradford Stanton’s help. His knowledge, expertise, understanding, and patience were much appreciated because English is our second language. Most of all he was so supportive all the way through, can’t say enough about the time during the last two days of the trial. He was brilliant, so prepared, and powerful. Attorney Bradford Stanton, thank you so much for everything and good luck working on future cases. Our best to you!
“Phenomenal Service”- Former Client
I had a very bizarre case and was charged with a crime I didn’t commit. Ashley was professional and on-point since day one. She was very communicative and reachable throughout the entire process. She has a lot of training and experience and is very knowledgeable on all aspects of the law and court system. She put on a terrific trial and made sure to use the law to our utmost advantage in highlighting the actual truth of the situation and the weak case the prosecution had built. I was very satisfied with my “Not Guilty” verdict at my trial-by-jury. I highly recommend Ashely as a criminal defense attorney to anyone in need of one.
Gens & Stanton, P.C.
12 Ericsson Street
Boston, MA 02122 Map & Directions
- Monday - Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday - Sunday Closed